What would I be like if I were from a different culture?


Taking a moment to reflect in a deeper fashion on the film Babies can certainly help one gain valuable insight not only on how other cultures take care of babies, but can also show some interesting parallels and differences that could potentially have had a profound affect on my life.

In terms of parallels with cultures in the movie, it is quite obvious that there would have been a lot of parallels with the American couple. However, the size of that family is quite different than mine. In my family I am the youngest of four children. Having not been surrounded by family at times would have been a change, and I certainly would not have the three close friends I have in my siblings. I feel that I would have enjoyed growing up in a single child household much less than I did with the constant goings on of a fairly large family. While having brothers who were significantly older (5 and 7 years respectively), I was able to battle through the incessant teasing of the eldest and enjoy my time growing up in my family. These people remain very important to me, and they have made me the person that I am today.

The other cultures that really stood out to me from the movie Babies were the African cultures. While I was raised to be very social and to frequently associate others, the extent to which the community banded together is certainly nothing like that of this type of culture. I feel that it certainly could cause an interesting change in me, and cause me to be more oriented towards serving society than being self serving. While I certainly do have a major part of that aspect in me, these are two aspects of myself which are constantly fighting with each other. As a child, this would of been able to help my leadership skills flourish among the neighborhood children by looking after them and playing with them. That part of my life took until I began working to develop when I began to work with the Parks and Recreation Department in my home town.

No comments:

Post a Comment